What Is Laser Teeth Whitening?
Teeth whitening is a way to change the colour of your smile by reducing tooth discoloration. Whiter teeth can make one look younger and help give you confidence.
The options for teeth whitening today are numerous, and one of the more popular professional options is laser teeth whitening. Laser teeth whitening treatment is a cosmetic laser dentistry procedure that adds the use of a laser to in-office teeth whitening.
The procedure is completed in a dental office. It involves placing a concentrated whitening gel on your teeth and then using a laser to heat it up, which whitens your teeth quickly.
Laser Whitening vs. Other Treatments
Many people confuse other types of teeth whitening procedures performed in the dental office with laser teeth whitening. The standard in-office whitening treatments don't use a laser, they simply use light that heats up whitening gel.
In true laser teeth whitening, the laser is required to activate the chemicals in the whitening gel, generally producing faster and more effective results.
In whitening techniques using lights, including those products you can use at home, the light only functions to produce heat. When whitening gel containing peroxide chemicals heats up, it works faster.
Pros To Laser Teeth Whitening
When your dentist performs laser teeth whitening, there are some advantages to this process.
- Noticeable results develop within a single laser teeth whitening session.
- The dentist does all the work in the office, so the patient does not have to use any materials or techniques at home.
- The whitening results are faster than those achieved by take-home products.
- Having a dentist perform the procedure reduces the risk of complications like soft tissue burns or damage to the nerves inside the teeth.
Cons Of Laser Teeth Whitening
Laser teeth whitening can have some disadvantages when compared to other whitening methods.
- Laser teeth whitening is typically the most expensive form of teeth whitening available.
- It requires an in-person visit with the dentist for an hour or more.
- As with all teeth whitening, the results do not last forever. People who drink coffee, tea, or red wine and/or use tobacco will experience a relapse in their whitening results and need to repeat the process.
- There is no guarantee of results with laser teeth whitening. It typically does perform better than other whitening methods, but some people have deep stains that do not whiten easily.
Laser Teeth Whitening Aftercare
After your laser teeth whitening session, be sure to only drink clear liquids for at least two hours. Then, after this time has passed, you can eat foods that won't stain your teeth. Avoid eating dark-pigmented foods, coffee, tea, and soda for at least 24 hours.